Thursday, August 7, 2014


When I arrived at the body shop to inspect the car the body and paint work did appear to have been complete for some time because the car was covered with months of dust and some superficial overspray. The seller told me the car had been at this body shop for several years. From what I remember being told, the body shop had agreed to work on the car during slow times to keep the labor rates down. The car had been completely disassembled except for the running gear. All of the body parts were only being held together with a minimum number of fasteners and were hand tightened at best. When I asked to see the missing parts I was told they were down the street in a storage facility. When I arrived at the storage facility the parts were basically in several piles mixed in with other belongings. Nothing was packaged, containerized or labeled… I take that back, there was a coffee can full of nuts, bolts and other small gizmos. I began pulling parts out of piles and corners and setting them outside. As I did I was mentally reassembling the car in an effort to account for the pieces I would need to reassemble the car. I was really disappointed the seller did not prepare for selling the car better than this but when all was said and done I was for the most part satisfied with the inventory of parts. When I returned to the body shop with a pickup full of parts I was surprised to see the guys at the shop had tightened a few of the body bolts to help get me down the road. We loaded the car on my trailer, swapped paper and I headed home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment